History (18 Jul 2018)

Looking for any OB photos/videos/links that people may have if you have some to share can send me a PM and I will give u email address to send to. Thx C

× Tips you use to prepare your ride

Air filters, Oils arent Oils Sol

More
7 years 6 months ago #102543 by menace
i dont think there is anything wrong with that easy cleaning, no toiling type of filter oil.

in fact i'd go as far as saying its user error that causes this problem.

if the instructions are read properly for this product, it will be noticed that the filters are to be left out to dry before being reinstalled. the spirit based emulsion needs to eveporate to leave the active ingrediants stuck to the filter. if the filter is not dry before installation (when it is dry, it losses its chalky look) the imulsion, including the all important oil will drain out.

i leave mine out to dry overnight, on some newspaper, seal side down.
i thought everybody did this??

looks like a poor tradesman blaming his tools to me :P :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

If we change the way we look at things, the things we look at will change

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #102546 by adam
Sam and I use a hairdryer on low heat high fan to dry off our filters.

Speeds up the drying time ;) but still leaves enough time for doing our makeup :P

Adam.

You only live once !!

And I came up with that way before the Facebook generation did !!!!

• TB
  • TB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Owner
  • Site Owner
  • Roost with no excuses and Ride with no regrets
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #102554 by TB
Replied by TB on topic Air filters, Oils arent Oils Sol

menace wrote: i dont think there is anything wrong with that easy cleaning, no toiling type of filter oil.

in fact i'd go as far as saying its user error that causes this problem.

if the instructions are read properly for this product, it will be noticed that the filters are to be left out to dry before being reinstalled. the spirit based emulsion needs to eveporate to leave the active ingrediants stuck to the filter. if the filter is not dry before installation (when it is dry, it losses its chalky look) the imulsion, including the all important oil will drain out.

i leave mine out to dry overnight, on some newspaper, seal side down.
i thought everybody did this??

looks like a poor tradesman blaming his tools to me :P :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You could be right Menace, I am only offering an opinon from trying different brands etc speaking to people at the dusty meetings where you ride 750kms in the pack sucking dust :pinch: To check yours and others theories mine included I will do 3 separate filters with No Toil, Castrol spray and Bel Ray or Motul I will video each one being done and follow the instructions to the letter. After two weeks we will be able to check on video if they still have the oil in the filters. I have seen the results which is why I wrote this but will do the experiment under controled conditions to confirm for myself as well. If I am wrong I am wrong won't be the first time :laugh:

Even last night I picked up a bike that I am fixing for a guy that's been dusted and closed the inlet valves (DR400) I will do a step by step on the repair to show the effects of dust entry and how to remove and reinstall the head and get it running 4 stroke style :laugh:

Like I said before I don't care who uses what I only wrote this because I keep seeing dusted bikes more often than not from people taking short cuts and cheaper options. There have been some great tips here on the thread including the news paper, the tomato sauce bottle, filter skins, the hair dryer etc BTW the clothes dryer works great when the minister isn't around :laugh:

The two stroke guys are laughing it isn't as critical on a two strokes nor on an old XR :P but the modern four stroke it is

TB

In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by TB.

• EAGLE`02
  • Adv Forum Moderator
  • Adv Forum Moderator
  • " Found Yellow Rock, Bald Rock & The Tunnel. Now what ???"
More
7 years 6 months ago #102578 by EAGLE`02
I am well & truly sold on the benefts of using Motul Filter Oil (or similar quality).
I ran two Twin element UNI FILTERs for the Kwaka, had one always clean & oiled ready to go in a sealed plastic tub. Rinsed the dirty one in Kerosene (similar practice to TB`s vid), followed by a warm wash in the Boss` best washing liquid :whistle: (also when she wasn`t around):laugh:
Hung out to dry, then re oil next day,,,,,

Only had the one inlet valve close on the Nabiac ride (put that down to a flogging in the heat though):unsure:
The Kwaka had 20,000k almost spanner free kilometers on it when we parted company :woohoo:

Great vid too btw TB ;)
Wish I had done one on the valve re shimming on the Kwaka before I got rid of it:whistle:

Cheers

OLD BULL #101
Original Ride- `84 XR250R GONE
Previous Ride- `04 KLX250R GONE
Current Ride- 2010 KTM 690R Enduro :)
”Still hangin` in there”

More
7 years 6 months ago #102583 by gavb
If the degreaser or kerro or bundy or what ever you use to get the old filter oil off, isn't washed off itself, it will make the new oil run off as well.

Previous Ride- 74 Husky 250, XLX 250, 2x DT200R, 2x XR400,Yam WR450
Current Ride- KTM450 & KTm 640 ADV and anthing that cant get away quick enough.

I've accidentally swallowed some Scrabble tiles. My next crap could spell disaster.

• EAGLE`02
  • Adv Forum Moderator
  • Adv Forum Moderator
  • " Found Yellow Rock, Bald Rock & The Tunnel. Now what ???"
More
7 years 6 months ago #102584 by EAGLE`02

gavb wrote: If the degreaser or kerro or bundy or what ever you use to get the old filter oil off, isn't washed off itself, it will make the new oil run off as well.

YES, Good tip there Gav;)
Hence the need for a good warm soapy rinse (I do it twice actually),,,,,,

OLD BULL #101
Original Ride- `84 XR250R GONE
Previous Ride- `04 KLX250R GONE
Current Ride- 2010 KTM 690R Enduro :)
”Still hangin` in there”

Moderators: Chris72aTBTrailraider
Time to create page: 0.295 seconds