History (18 Jul 2018)

Looking for any OB photos/videos/links that people may have if you have some to share can send me a PM and I will give u email address to send to. Thx C

× Discuss anything KTM here

KTM 530 my test bike / rides

• TB
  • TB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Owner
  • Site Owner
  • Roost with no excuses and Ride with no regrets
More
6 years 8 months ago #122345 by TB
Firstly I really don’t hate KTMs I do like the loyalist’s reactions but when you bag them but I mean it passes the time :laugh: . I owned and raced a KTM many years ago, left hand kick start green seat. It wasn’t a bike I loved but when ridden aggressively did everything right when it ran I should add. It broke down all the time and cost more than I could afford in the end. I do like Hondas but won’t settle on a bike because it has to be a Honda. The Tenere was the best bike for what I wanted from an adventure bike when I bought it, I still think it is and I looked at them all in the CC range I wanted. I do get to ride a few different bikes and have always liked big bore four strokes and partial to the 07 525. The 530 always appealed to me and I watched Rockets with interest.
I have always been a critic of PDS, hell I have seen it and ridden bikes that did kick. The 530 that belongs to Steve from Adventure Moto has had the suspension done with no expense spared. I am also critical of the cost of KTM spares, oil filters for example twice the price to a Jap filter. Don’t scream the house down that’s buying one on one from the same shop with the same discount applied to both. The bike also has a CPW oil tank I fitted for Steve it adds 500ml to the engine oil capacity which at 600ml is a joke in my opinion. 1.1litres has to be better in a high performance 4 stroke engine hasn’t it? I fitted a Rekulse, a steering damper, bash plate, front mousse, new Dunlop tyres, a thermo fan and filled the cooling system with engine ice. The bike has only 9hrs on it and is like new.

I have some photos etc to add to a proper report about the bike and all the accessories which I will try and do over the weekend. There was very little I didn’t like about the bike and lots I did.

TB

In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #122347 by white rocket
there a great versatile bike i reckon handle short highway runs fire trails and single track good on fuel it would suit the riding you do ps they crack to hay :woohoo:

to old to fat to slow but still out there and talking shit

More
6 years 8 months ago #122348 by Nato
Replied by Nato on topic KTM 530 my test bike / rides
That sounds like bugger all oil for a big bore 4t. Does the book call for oil changes every 400km or something?

Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

More
6 years 8 months ago #122349 by pete the wulf
This will be a good one to watch, the 530 is a great bike, i love big bores and in a perfect world i would have one in my shed............................. next to my XR650 :laugh: :laugh:

PTW

Dirt bikes don't come with a sense of humor so if you don't have one, don't get a dirt bike.

• TB
  • TB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Owner
  • Site Owner
  • Roost with no excuses and Ride with no regrets
More
6 years 8 months ago #122352 by TB
Replied by TB on topic KTM 530 my test bike / rides

pete the wulf wrote: This will be a good one to watch, the 530 is a great bike, i love big bores and in a perfect world i would have one in my shed............................. next to my XR650 :laugh: :laugh:

PTW

Yes a perfect world, heaps of bikes in the shed and no work :laugh:

Nato wrote: That sounds like bugger all oil for a big bore 4t. Does the book call for oil changes every 400km or something?

Yeah doesnt seem enough for me but hey I am from the old school where bikes held 2 litres :laugh: But its been said oil wasnt that good in those days so it needed two litres eh Lefty ;)

white rocket wrote: there a great versatile bike i reckon handle short highway runs fire trails and single track good on fuel it would suit the riding you do ps they crack to hay :woohoo:

It does crack of the bottom Rocket and yes I love that about it :woohoo: It does do ok on fuel as well actually :) Big bores are the go and it weighs only 4.5 kilos more than a CRF 250 and lighter than a WR450 (steel frame)

TB

In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away

More
6 years 8 months ago #122353 by Crash
Replied by Crash on topic KTM 530 my test bike / rides
I rode the KTM TB had at Wauchope on the grass track. It was a brilliant machine. The suspension over the various humps when your weight was coming off was excellent - it wasn't kicking at all. You could change line, flip/ flop direction at the drop of your hat. Under power, it was tracking out of the corners, following the terrain perfectly. The power was excellent. I couldn't fault it.
The power/torque wasn't near the XR650 - but the ability to stop leaves the D11 of bikes (XR650) for dead.
It was a great ride.
Crash

OB9

Blue n Red
XTZ660 Tenere & XR650R Rut maker

Moderators: Chris72aTBTrailraider
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds