History (18 Jul 2018)

Looking for any OB photos/videos/links that people may have if you have some to share can send me a PM and I will give u email address to send to. Thx C

× Discuss anything KTM here

sprocket sizes

• TB
  • Site Owner
  • Site Owner
  • Roost with no excuses and Ride with no regrets
More
6 years 10 months ago #117154 by TB
Replied by TB on topic sprocket sizes
Run the biggest front you can you will get longer chain and sprocket life. As LC said but going to a14:51 from the 13:50 would make a fair difference. I am pretty sure Sutto's change the gearing when they assemble the bike and do the pre delivery ( thats why they have the box of ADR sprockets at the front counter for adv bikes :laugh: ) Put some miles on that and check it maybe it will suit you then when they are worn out get the same size but better quality chain and sprockets. As for tyres like the king and LC said they are the popular brands and with the relationship you have with Sutto's already and being an Old Bull Scotty will more than look after you and they will fit them for you as well

Have fun

TB

In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #117160 by mal5.1
Replied by mal5.1 on topic sprocket sizes
Gearing is hard to advise as it's a personal thing. Run the gearing that Suttos set up you on the trails you like to ride for a while. If you find that you can't get the engine in a sweet spot for you and your always switching between say 2nd and 3rd then a larger rear sprocket might be the go to stay in 3rd longer.

STM is on the money with the MX Extras. I run them on the rear last year and liked them until they wore down past half way then they become a bit unpreticable. I had a Pirelli Mid Soft on the front which worked well too.

Yamaha, Sherco, Husky, Gas Gas, Sherco…….what next?

Your brain and muscles fade very quickly without oxygen so remember to BREATH when riding.

More
6 years 10 months ago #117161 by BellingenEv
Replied by BellingenEv on topic sprocket sizes
I use a 51 on the back , you can use 2 gear alot more on hills and singles.
I tried a 52 and it was terrible , I found for every tooth on the back you loose about 12ks per hour in top speed.
Max speed with a 52 was about 85/95ks , and everytime you backed off the throttle you almost went over the bars.

Blasphemy is a victimless crime

More
6 years 10 months ago #117162 by Murph the surf
Replied by Murph the surf on topic sprocket sizes
Hey Wolfie
I own a KTM500
Pretty sure it came standard with 13-50.
I didn't like it. Changed it to 14-50 and loved it.
The 500 has plenty of grunt to pull a higher ratio
We ride mainly singles and big rocky mother hills and it seems to be a good ratio
The 13-50 ratio had me changing gears to often
Cheers
Murph the surf

82 DT175 new, 82 IT465, 84 IT490, 85 TT600 new, GPZ1100 the first EFI model, TT250, DR600, 04 KTM525 new, 07 KTM 525 new, 012 KTM500 new.

Moderators: Chris72aTBTrailraider
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds